Friday, September 28, 2012

Entry #48: Just For Today

Dear All:

Thank heaven for autumn's rainbow. The season's golden sunlight, calm breeze and baby pumpkins give us the joy of a new season and the hope for today. The falling leaves have begun their dance party of ruby red and sunset yellow, giving us a glimpse of Fall's spectacular firework show!

As the chirpy Robins and darling Sparrows try to dazzle us today, our hearts are heavy because we miss our beloved family member who entered heaven only 20 days ago. But now she can be the fierce (fighting for the good) and tender angel she was always meant to be. We know that she is safe in the arms of the brightest light of all. 

I am thankful to my family, friends and community who have shared their understanding of the principles (prayers) associated with Narcotics Anonymous. The prayer Just For Today has helped millions of people stay substance abuse free and attain emotional control for their well being. Is emotional control-- calm, and peaceful happiness? I am not sure, but it is a good start. 

Just For Today
  1. I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle my life problems at once.
  2. I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.
  3. I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things I can correct and accept those I cannot.
  4. I will improve my mind, I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.
  5. I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I will improve my appearance, speak softly, and not to interrupt when someone else is talking.
  6. I will refrain from improving anybody but myself.
  7. I will do something positive to improve my health, maybe take a brisk walk, even it's only around the block.
  8. I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.
I received a gift recently, The Birthday Almanac Book, written by Sophia Kendrick. This personal revelation's book summarizes our actual birth date and favorable character traits. My first look was Samantha's birthday, which I found to be very precious and telling of --her.

July 18th -- Compassionate Character
"With three-quarters of their birth influences, their female polarity, water the Moon-heightening their powers of receptiveness, intuition, and empathy, it is a small wonder that 7/18 individuals are so understanding, and forgiving, of others' human emotions and weaknesses. How they act on their responsiveness is down to the individual--some may enter the caring professions or volunteer work, which others may express their compassion through creativity--but in so doing, all demonstrate their characteristic determination."--The Birthday Almanac

I could not enter another post without honoring our beloved Sam (a devoted follower and contributor to this blog), whose free spirit, curiosity and determination lead her life--always. Many of us on this blog, loved her completely and very dearly, no matter what was happening with her on any given day! Her journey was unique here and I only wish that when her days felt less hopeful, she could have called any one of us for the comfort and guidance she needed.  

With tears streaming down my face, I want to thank you all for reading in your busy days. Let's pray for the young adults, women and children who need our fierce and determined protection at all times.

Sincerely,
Kristen


12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful eulogy for a deeply missed and beautiful girl. Including some wise words for all of us. Thank you. Deirdre xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krissy,
    Your deeply poetic words are full of wisdom and hope for all....
    Samantha is now at peace in the arms of the angels, where she will be comforted for always!
    Love you,
    lynnie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kristen,
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful reflections of Samantha and for passing on "Just For Today". Perhaps Samantha's first task as an angel was to inspire the passing on of the true meaning of that prayer and the comfort it encourages.

    I love you,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen,
    It's not easy to express such a loss in words on a blog, but you did it with your characteristic truth and wisdom, expressing life's beauty and challenges all at once. Yes, poetic. I love the "Just for Today" list. Thank you for being a guiding light to us all. Samantha will live on in our hearts.
    Love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Kristen,
    What a lovely way to honor this young woman. The prayer is a good one for any ordinary day but exceptionally poignant when we think of such a terrible, too-early loss.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen - I am just stopping by here today. I had no idea. And I am deeply saddened to hear this news as I cannot imagine a grief any deeper than the loss of a child. I will leave you with a quote from Henry Wordsworth: "There is no grief like the grief that does not speak." You speak to us through your words and your feelings resonate with us all. We keep our memories in our hearts always where they heal even the deepest wounds. Blessings to Abby and to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi:

    God is in the details I suppose.

    Love,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi:

    Where is the birds sing, there is light.

    Love

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi:

    God is light, so there you go.

    Love

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi:

    Let the world illuminate me today.

    Love
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi:


    Just for Today I will be in a state of loving kindness no matter what.

    Love,

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi:

    Just for Today I will not judge others in a negative way to make myself seem better.

    Love

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete