This a memo from Brady that puts a mirror right up to my impatient, and at times non present self.
- Please do not spoil me. I know quite well that I ought not to have all I ask for. I'm only testing you.
- Don't be afraid to be firm with me. I prefer it; it makes me feel secure.
- Don't let me form bad habits. I have to rely on you to detect them in early stages.
- Don't make me feel smaller than I am. It only makes me behave stupidly "big".
- Don't correct me in front of people if you can help it. I'll take much more notice if you talk quietly with me in private.
- Don't make me feel that my mistakes (or yours) are sins. It upsets my sense of values.
- Don't protect me from consequences. I need to learn the painful way sometimes.
- Don't be too upset with me when I say "I hate you." Sometimes it isn't you I hate, but your power to thwart me.
- Don't take too much notice of my small ailments. Sometimes they get me the attention I need.
- Don't nag (sigh). If you do, I shall have to protect myself as well as I should like. That is why I cannot always be accurate.
- Don't put me off when I ask a questions. If you do, you will find that I shop asking and seek information elsewhere.
- Don't be inconsistent. That completely confuses me and makes me lose faith in you.
- Don't tell me my fears are silly. They are terribly real and you can do much to reassure me if you try to understand. Don't ever suggest that you are perfect. Its give me too great a shock when I discover you are neither.
- Don't ever think that it is beneath your dignity to apologize to me. An honest apology makes me feel surprisingly warms towards you.
- Don't forget that I love experimenting. I couldn't get along without it, so please put up with it.
- Don't forget how quickly I am growing up. It must be difficult for your to keep pace with me, but please don't stop trying.
- Don't forget that I don't thrive without lots of love and understanding. but I don't need to tell you, do I?
- Please keep yourself fit and healthy. I need you.
Let's pray for the children who need our determined and fierce protection at all times.